Monday 9 June 2014

SMUTTY WEEKEND COMING UP!

Hi there

Welcome to another week in Bella's World.

What's Happening?

It's been a very busy few days for me, and this week will be even more hectic.  On Saturday 14th June I am going to 'Smut by the Sea' (smutbythesea.co.uk for more details) which takes place in Scarborough in the north of England.  It is an event for readers and authors of erotic romance and erotica in which we get together, meet new people and enjoy workshops and readings.  There are a few stalls, and the chance to buy books at very discounted prices and have them signed by the actual author.

For me, this event is going to be very special.  I went along to last year's event as a reader, having recently been in hospital for a life-threatening operation.  While I was ill in hospital I decided that the one thing I really regretted was that I hadn't properly pursued my dream of becoming a published author.  I promised myself that I would recover and become the author I always wanted to be.

I saw 'Smut by the Sea' advertised on the internet, and my husband promised to take me, provided I was well enough (it's about a four-hour journey).  It really gave me something to look forward to.  Although I had never considered writing erotic fiction (I had written a children's book, countless short stories and started several novels) I thought it would be interesting to go along.  I am a big fan of Sylvia Day, Cherise Sinclair and Lexi Blake, and thoroughly enjoyed reading the highly-controversial 'Fifty Shades of Grey', so I wasn't a stranger to eroticism.

I found the event lots of fun.  It wasn't too big or overwhelming, and there was plenty of chances to meet and speak with different authors.  I found the people extremely friendly and helpful, and very encouraging when I mentioned that I would love to write a book.  Their enthusiasm rubbed off on me and I began writing a short story on the way home.  The story was my take on what I would have written had I been one of the authors who had had stories printed in the book of the event, 'Smut by the Sea', and were given the brief to write a short, smutty story centred around the seaside.  My 'short story' turned into a novella of 32,500 words and, although it wasn't exactly what I'd call smutty -  I was told it was Erotic Romance - I was really pleased with it.  I took a chance and sent it to a publisher and lo and behold it was accepted.  That book was published as an e-book in November last year.

My book was called 'Last of the Sirens' and became the first of a serial of six books, the last of which is to be published in July this year.  I cannot believe that this year I will be selling copies of the paperback of my first two books, Last of the Sirens and Scourge of the Sirens, at the Smut by the Sea event!  The books have been printed as a combi-book (ie two books within one cover).

I guess it just goes to show what can be done with a little determination!

I am currently making cards for the craft stall which will be there this year, as well as getting together my swag - keyrings, postcards, bookmarks, etc - to take with me.  It would be lovely to meet just one person who has read and enjoyed my work.  If you are going to the event please stop by and say hello to me - I will be the one quaking in my boots, I'm so nervous!

What am I Working On?

I am currently working on my second cowboy romance.  This one involves a gay billionaire cowboy who falls for a guy who becomes one of his ranch-hands.  However, the guy already knows the cowboy's reputation as a manwhore and is not interested in a mere fling.  This is currently the longest novel I've written to date (though after edits it may not be - lol!) so seems to be taking forever, but I have already fallen in love with my two main characters and don't want it to end!

What's Next?

Join me on Wednesday when we will be continuing the series 'Writing; The Alphabet' with 'B' is for Bondage'.  We will be hearing from a wonderful friend of mine, Tatum Throne.  

Until then have a great week and enjoy whatever you are reading and/or writing.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment