Wednesday 6 August 2014

Mardi Maxwell: 'D' is for Dominance

Hi there

Welcome to a new month on Writing; The Alphabet.  We are now up to the letter 'D' and the topic for this month is 'Dominance'  I've got Mardi Maxwell with me today with some fascinating information on the subject. 

BIO:

I was born in Utah but I’ve traveled throughout America and lived in sunny California, west Texas and the mountains of Colorado. I wrote my first erotic romance in the summer of 2013. It was accepted and published that same year. Since then I’ve written three more books in the Doms of Club Mystique series. At this time I’m busy writing the fifth and final book in the series. Other than writing, I love to read, garden, swim and go to the drive-in movie with my family and friends First, though, let's find out a little about her.

Are you an Alpha Female or a Beta Female? Or both?

Did you know that Alpha Females usually have longer ring fingers than their index fingers? Yup! Scientists believe it’s caused by more testosterone in the womb and it gives these women the ability to think like a male. ("Testosterone has been argued to promote development of the areas of the brain which are often associated with spatial and mathematical skills," said Dr. Mark Brosnan, Head of the Department of Psychology at the University of Bath, who led the study).   This information made me wonder how many female writers have longer ring fingers and if this is why they have the ability to get into the minds of their male characters?
When I think of alpha females I think of Samantha in Sex in the City, Sigourney Weaver in Working Girl, and Meryl Streep in The Devil Wears Prada. These females tend to concentrate on their careers rather than their relationships.
Alpha female quotes: “The good ones screw you, the bad ones screw you, and the rest don’t know how to screw you.” -Samantha Jones - Sex in the City.
The beta female is the sweet, caring and demure woman. She is feminine and enjoys simple pleasures in life such as cooking, taking her dog for a walk, watering her flowers and decorating the house. Not to say that beta females don’t have high power jobs as well but they tend to put the emphasis on relationships and their careers are just what they do for a living.
Scientists also found a link between low prenatal testosterone exposure, which resulted in a shorter ring finger compared with the index finger, and higher literacy SAT scores for girls. Also girls with longer index fingers are very feminine and have higher fertility rates. Estrogen is thought to do the same in the areas of the brain which are often associated with verbal ability. "Interestingly, these hormones are also thought to have a say in the relative lengths of our index and ring fingers.”
Beta female quotes: “A career is wonderful, but you can’t curl up with it on a cold night”. -Marilyn Monroe
I started out researching only alpha females who are submissive but ended up learning about beta females as well. My conclusion? I believe there are actual alpha females and actual beta females, but I believe most women behave as an alpha female through circumstance, such as females who have to take on both roles of a mother / father or homemaker / breadwinner due to dad being absent or away (a lot of military wives experience this). I don't know any females who don't care about their environment as far as décor and comfort go although I know a lot who have housekeepers to do the cleaning. I also don’t know any women who hate getting dressed up and going out while they’re looking their best. I’ve don’t have a single friend who would turn down a spa day.

 Latest Release from Mardi Maxwell

ZANE’S CHOICE (The Doms of Club Mystique 4) released August 5, 2014
BLURB:
Beautiful, curvy, Ravyn Templeton saw Zane Ramsey in an a BDSM club in Houston three years ago. He’s haunted her dreams ever since.
Zane is an Assistant District Attorney and co-owner of Club Mystique, the BDSM club he and his brothers built on their Texas ranch. When Ravyn’s ex-husband is arrested for trying to have her killed the case is assigned to Zane.
The moment Zane meets Ravyn he wants her and even though he knows having an affair with her will jeopardize his career he can’t resist her. When Ravyn’s ex-husband accuses her of laundering money for a drug cartel, and she refuses to answer Zane’s questions he leaves her.
Fate in the form of Addison Ramsey steps in and brings them together again and again. Zane has the power to save Ravyn but only if he loves her enough to fight for her. 
FIRST ADULT EXCERPT:
“I told you from the beginning if you were guilty I wouldn’t lie for you,” Zane said, the words gritted out between clenched teeth.
“Then you shouldn’t have fucked me.” Ravyn reached up and tried to pry his fingers from her hair. “Let go, Zane.”
“This time you’ve gone too far. Be still or I’ll beat your ass.”
“You can’t. You’re the one who set the limits of our relationship.” She gave up trying to pry his hand loose. “You said fucking only. Nothing else.”
“Tell me the truth then—tell me what you know.”  
“Nothing. I don’t know anything.”
“You lie to me and then you question why I won’t—” He pulled her head back until the tendons in her neck stood out. “Just don’t lie to me again. It really pisses me off.”
Ravyn used her peripheral vision to look to her right. Everyone’s attention was focused on them. “Zane, let go. Everyone’s watching.”
“Don’t mind us,” Cade said. “You’d be surprised how often something like this happens around here lately.”
Zane shot a dirty look toward the room’s occupants then focused on her again. “Everyone out.”
A moment later Cade picked Addison up then settled in the chair behind his desk and smiled. Addison grinned at Zane then snuggled into Cade, letting him know they were staying.

SECOND ADULT EXCERPT:
Ravyn jumped up and turned to Zane, her hands on her hips. “You damn bastard. You want to believe I’m guilty.” She swiveled on her four inch stilettos and walked toward the door. “Sorry, Addison, I appreciate the invitation but I can’t stay here.”
“Ravyn, if you walk through that door you’ll be sorry,” Zane said.
Ravyn turned around and smiled as she backed toward the door then sent him a one finger wave as she disappeared into the hall.
Giggles swept around the room as the men cleared their throats and sent him what-are-you- going-to-do- now looks.
Zane began rolling up his sleeves as he followed her. “We’ll be right back.”
Ravyn heard his footsteps behind her as she hurried toward the front door. When he grabbed her arm and pulled her around she shoved him back and then ran for the front door. He caught up to her and wrapped his right arm around her waist then hoisted her onto his hip and carried her, kicking and screaming, into the dining room. He hooked a chair with his foot, pulled it out then sat down and pulled her over his lap.
“Don’t you dare, you bastard.” Ravyn reached back and tried to cover her butt.
In seconds he had her skirt shoved up around her waist. “You’ve been begging for this for months, Ravyn.” Zane ran his hand over her plump ass then snapped the strap of the thong that separated her rounded cheeks and laughed when she screamed as it stung her anus.
“I have not.” She kicked her legs and felt him shove her shoes from her feet before he swept her panties down her legs.
“Yes, you have and I’m going to give you a taste of what you think you want.” He tangled her panties around her ankles, restraining her legs then stroked his hand up the back of her legs to her butt. 
Ravyn grabbed the leg of the chair and lifted her torso. Zane hooked one leg over hers then held her in place by pressing his hand against the small of her back. He rubbed and squeezed her ass until she moaned.
“I’m supposed to have a safeword and a list of limits.”
“Pick a safeword.”
“Guilty,” Ravyn said, then screeched when he swatted her ass. “Let me up, damn you.”
 “You said you wanted to be my sub. Well, I’ve got news for you, princess, in this house there are rules for subs and you’ve just broken several of them,” he swatted her rounded ass five times as he talked, “and, you don’t air our personal business in front of my family and friends.” Zane swatted her another five times, each swat harder than the last while he ignored her screams. “Subs don’t cuss in this house.” He swatted her five more times. “No disrespecting a Dom in this house and that goes double for me.” Five more swats landed on her ass.


Thank you so much for being my guest today, Mardi.  I found your piece on 'Dominance' fascinating and LOVE the look of your book!

Please join me again on Friday when my guest for Meet the Author will be Roe Valentine.  We will be finding out all about her and her latest release.  Until then enjoy the rest of the week and have fun with whatever you are reading and/or writing.







No comments:

Post a Comment